Assignment 1 - Exploration, Concept Art, and Character Design
- Read the Course Website thoroughly, especially the Submission Guidelines and Syllabus
- Make sure you have access to Piazza and Box, email TAs if you weren't invited
- Download Autodesk Maya before Thursday's class (use your Andrew email to get a student license)
- Comment on three of your peers' WIPs on Piazza by Monday at 11:59 pm.
Deliverables (Due Monday Jan 24, 11:59pm)
1) Design your own character. You will be in charge of modeling, rigging, and animating this character throughout the course. Pick something that is achievable at your skill level. Create a PDF that includes the concept art and describes the character attributes, the world they live in, and their goals within this world. This world building exercise should be all original material. Use this worksheet to help you create your character.
To make modeling the character easier, consider making an additional plan of the character from both a side and a front view. This is helpful for comparison when modeling (especially for box modeling but also for sculpting). Remember to use guidelines to keep your character's proportions consistent! Below is an example from online.
Post a Work in Progress (WIP) of your character design to Piazza by Thursday's class. Include anything you might be worried about and points you want feedback on.
Create a folder named with your Andrew ID under the Assignment 1 folder in Box, then upload your file(s) with the following naming convention: <andrewID>_asst1_v<version#>.pdf (ex: alyssal_asst1_v1.pdf) by Monday at 11:59 PM.
2) Make a simple model in Maya and post the .mb to box. You can model whatever you want, just experiment and try to familiarize yourself with the UI. Reference the lecture and this tutorial for help with the Maya UI.